At Fielder's Choice we are committed to improving skills and increasing confidence. From the moment you walk in, you notice... we're here for your kids. We'll meet them where they are in their skills and strive each and every lesson to help them improve and build their self-esteem.
The Fielder's Choice Story
Tommy’s focus on baseball began at a young age. He transitioned from a successful in youth player into a promising college prospect, playing 3 years for Central Missouri State University and 1 year for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Tommy and his college teammates enjoyed tremendous success, including a 2003 Division II National Championship at CMSU. Tommy spent his professional playing career in the American Association. After multiple seasons with the Shreveport Captains, Tommy realized he had a passion for supporting youth in athletics.
Tommy and Alison opened Fielder’s Choice in 2013 after years of planning. The centrally-located Kellogg and Edgemoor facility is purpose-built for baseball and softball instruction, designed with a mission to develop confidence in young people.
The desire to develop confidence in youth would continue to grow and evolve with the introduction of the first academy team, the Jesters, in 2015 and in 2016 with the addition of the Wichita Aeros Baseball and Wichita Bombers Softball teams.
In 2017, Fielder’s Choice added The Clubhouse. This provides an additional team-focused environment for both academy teams and independent teams.
In late 2019 and now into 2020, Fielder's Choice is now moved into a single location, the Clubhouse! We now have a great place for team memberships, individual memberships and, as always, outstanding training.
You don't need a membership to come in and rent, but we have them if you want one!
Why We Love Our Job!
I love coming to work everyday knowing that what I'm doing positively affects young athletes and helps them build bright futures for themselves.
Working at Fielder's Choice is like being part of a family. We collaborate, debate, and have a great time!
Being able to share my passion for the game with kids is the best part of my job. If a kid decides not to pursue athletics as a career, at least I know I've done my part to create a life-long love of baseball.
The most rewarding thing about working at Fielder's Choice is seeing a girl go from being shy and unsure of herself to being confident. I love to see the huge difference in the way they carry themselves after a few lessons - some of them are like night and day!
Some Important Things To Know Before You Come In...
Everyone who enters the Training Areas MUST have a signed waiver on file. DOWNLOAD THE WAIVER HERE.
Fielder’s Choice is committed to offering excellent instruction and the best access to practice areas as possible. To keep our commitments to you, we ask the following:
- Please arrive at least 5 minutes early to appointments and reservations.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please give us 48 hours’ notice.
- Be respectful to everyone in the building.
- Non-participating children must be supervised always.
- Parents, friends, and family members are welcome to watch their athletes, if they are not a distraction to the player or the instructor.
Fielder’s Choice commitments to students and parents:
- Instructors will begin and finish lessons on-time; allowing time for questions and clarification at the end of the lesson.
- All instruction will be positive and encouraging, focusing on creating a love for the game and a passion for playing it well.
- If scheduling conflicts occur, we will notify students and parents as soon as possible.
- All equipment will be up-to-date, in good condition, and accessible.
- The facility will be clean and inviting with areas for viewing (and playing for younger kids).
How students can be most successful:
- Arrive 5 – 10 minutes before lessons.
- Bring proper equipment for lesson.
- Be prepared to focus and work hard.
- Ask questions, if you don’t understand something.
- Be respectful to everyone in the building.
Tips for parents:
- Find a comfortable spot to watch lessons. Always let us know if we can do something for you!
- Let your child and his/ her instructor have their lesson time without distraction or interruption.
- We encourage parents to learn along with their kids, however, please save any questions or concerns you have for the end of your child’s lesson.
- If you need to reschedule a lesson, please give us 48 hours’ notice.
- If your child is misbehaving or having trouble during the lesson, allow the instructor to address the issue first before intervening.
- Younger (and older) siblings are welcome, so long as their presence does not create a distraction for the players or instructors.
The sport of baseball or softball involves known and unanticipated risks which could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis or permanent disability, death, and property damage. Risks include, but are not limited to, broken bones, torn ligaments, bruises and other bodily injuries as serious as death, disability, blindness, caused by contact with baseball or softballs, bats, other participants or structures like walls or fences, or caused by uneven ground, medical conditions resulting from physical activity, and damaged clothing or other property. Such risks cannot be eliminated, despite the use of safety equipment, without jeopardizing the essential qualities of the activity.
For the safety of our clients and spectators, we require the following:
- Everyone who enters the tunnels or bullpen is required to wear proper safety gear, which may include, but is not limited to: shoes, helmet, cup, glove, batting gloves, thumb guards, mouth guards, and catcher’s equipment.
- Each participant must sign a waiver before using the facility or having a lesson. A parent or guardian’s signature is required for all participants under 18. You can download the waiver here.
- Spikes are ONLY allowed inside the bullpen. Players must change in and out of spikes in the bullpen.
- Turf shoes are best inside the tunnels.
Fielder’s Choice offers a variety of lesson packages to fit the needs of our clients. Lesson packages must be used for the sport (baseball or softball) for which they were purchased. For example, a softball package credit may not be used for a baseball lesson. Learn more about our packages here.
Refunds & Cancellations
Cancellations must be made with 48 hours' notice to receive a refund credit. Lessons or rentals cancelled without 48 hours' notice are not eligible for refunds in any form (cash, credit, or Facility Credit). Refunds will be given for lessons cancelled with 48 hours’ notice in the same form as the original payment. If a lesson was purchased using a package credit, no cash refund will be offered. The package credit will be given back to the client to use at a later date. If a debit or credit card was used, the same card will be credited. Refunds for lessons can also be issued in the form of a Facility Credit for the client to use on future products and services. Refunds for rentals cancelled with 48 hours' notice will be issued in the form of a Facility Credit.
Please contact us at (316) 295-2642 for more information.